Marina Construction Updates
Starting Construction on the Marina Master Plan
On Monday, March 4, 2019, the Town of Frisco hosted a ceremonial groundbreaking with Frisco Mayor Gary Wilkinson on the long planned for “Big Dig” project at the Frisco Bay Marina. This project is part of the Marina Master Plan, which was approved in June 2018 by the Frisco Town Council. This project is anticipated to positively impact the Frisco Bay Marina for generations to come.
In January, ordinance 19-01 was passed on second reading by the Frisco Town Council to authorize the issuance by the Town of Frisco, acting by and through its Frisco Bay Marina enterprise, of Marina enterprise revenue bonds. These bonds were issued for a total of $5,000,000 in February 2019 to fund the Marina Master Plan projects.
“Big Dig” Timeline & Impact
The “Big Dig” is anticipated to be underway from March 4, 2019 until May 31, 2019. This phase of construction was named the “Big Dig” because it involves significant excavation of the lake bed in the Frisco Bay to improve navigation; lengthen the boating season; and expand recreational facilities at the Marina. Work during the “Big Dig” phase will include:
- The grade in the bay will be lowered by up to 13 feet in some areas.
- Excavation to a depth of 16 feet in south bay
- Excavation of a channel to 9 feet of depth to northern paddle rack area
- 85,000 cubic yards of dirt will be moved- for reference, that would be 7,083 dump trucks of soil on the move if we were removing the soils from the site! Addition of 3 acres of usable land to east of Lund House, which will be retained by a nine foot block wall
- Addition of 1 acre of new usable land in paddle area for all racks and paddle sport docks on the north side
- In preparation for this work, the Frisco Bay Marina lighthouse has been moved and is being stored at the marina service area. Planning for a future location for the lighthouse is still underway.
Phase One Timeline & Impact
Phase One of the project, which is anticipated to begin in mid-April and go until May 31, 2019, will include:
- Relocation and construction of a boat ramp in a new location. The new ramp will have three generous lanes, rather than the previous ramp’s two narrow lanes.
- An expanded beach area and new sidewalks to improve pedestrian access are also planned for Phase One.
- A new sidewalk and guardrail to be constructed to run the length of the new retention wall constructed during the “Big Dig” phase
- New gangway to walkway and slips in the south bay
Future phases will be completed progressively over the years, as conditions and budget allow. Here are some of the improvements identified by the Marina Master Plan:
- New office and rental/retail space
- New bathrooms
- New restaurant
- Playground move and improvements
- Improved parking
- Dock with power and potable water access
- Upgraded boat service building and yard
2020 Marina Construction
Marina construction currently planned for 2020 includes a new marina building to host bathrooms, rental space and offices and is dependent on budgeting.